Alycia started Pilates with the belief that it is an effective body conditioning method to strengthen and improve body alignment. As she delved deeper through her Pilates journey, she discovered first hand, the benefits of developing a stronger core and greater mind-body connection in honing in her dance technique. This reinforced her belief that Pilates improves a person’s physical well-being, builds confidence and prevents injury.
Alycia studied ballet under the tutelage of Mr. Donato Ferrer, Ms. Ravenna Tucker and Ms. Elizabeth Thng. She obtained formal dance education in Ballet and Contemporary at Lasalle-SIA College of the Arts where she was a recipient of the Georgette Chen Arts Scholarship awarded by National Arts Council Singapore, and graduated with a Diploma in Dance with Distinction (2002). A highlight upon her graduation was her choreography ‘Moving-on’ being awarded the Perpetual trophy at the Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dancing (CSTD) 4th Asia-Pacific Dance Competition.
Since then, she choreographed and performed at the Attitude Performing Arts Studio biannual concerts (2003-2016), other performances including contemporary pieces titled ‘Box.ed’ (2003) and ‘Sojourn’ (2006). She had a successful audition and performed with the Ballet Magnificat in ‘Deliver Us’ (2003).
She went on to complete CSTD Intermediate ballet examination, and obtained outstanding results for all CSTD Modern Jazz examination. She has also completed the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) Advanced 1 ballet examination, attained RAD Teacher certificate and is currently mentoring young teachers undertaking Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies (RAD CBTS) and to students who aspire to teach.
Alycia has taught ballet for 16 years. With her passion in teaching and a continuous pursuit of knowledge in both dance education and Pilates, she hopes to create meaningful experiences in movement, inspire and motivate her students to move well and dance injury free!
- Diploma in Dance with Distinction (Lasalle-SIA College of the Arts)
- Registered Teacher (Royal Academy of Dance, UK)
- Certificate of Higher Education in Dance Teaching (Royal Academy of Dance, UK)
- Progressing Ballet Technique Certified Teacher
- BodyTree Academy (BTA) Certified Pilates Teacher
- BodyTree Academy (BTA) Educator
- Fletcher Pilates® Professional Teacher
- Pilates Method Alliance (PMA®) Certified Pilates Teacher
- Movement Anatomy™ in Biomechanics and Pathologies (BTA)
- Certified BASI Pilates® for Dancers
- Evidence Based Fitness Academy (EBFA) Master Instructor
- Barefoot Training Specialist® Level 3
- BARE® Workout Instructor
- PowerPlate Certified Master Trainer
- Pelvic Floor Health & Dysfunction (The Centre for Women’s Fitness)
- Stretch Therapy Certified Teacher